Arm lift procedure is performed when skin elasticity loosens due to aging and a bat-wing-like appearance occurs on the arms. It is also called brachioplasty. Many people who suffer from this condition constantly need to wear long sleeves to hide their arms. It is not possible to correct the sagging and loosening of skin elasticity with sports.
The sagging problem in the upper arm is corrected by arm lift procedure. In this operation, excess sagging skin is removed. The lower arm area is also thinned by liposuction.
What are the Types of Arm Lift Procedure?
Different procedures are performed depending on the desired appearance and how much of the skin is sagging. Some of them are:
- Traceless Arm Lift: Vaser Liposuction method is used in this procedure. It is suitable for people whose skin elasticity is not too damaged. It is possible for the skin to tighten itself after removing excess fat. With plasma and vaser liposuction technology, the skin is tightened after the surgery.
- Arm Lift with Incision Scar: This procedure is also known as ‘mini arm lift surgery’ or ‘invisible arm lift’. Operations are performed in the armpit area. First, liposuction is performed and the arm is thinned. Then the excess part of the skin is pulled under the armpit. The operation is completed by closing the incision in the armpit area. Since the scar will remain here, it is not obvious from the outside.
- Standard Arm Lift: If there is an excessive loss of skin elasticity, excess fat and skin on the arm are completely removed with this procedure. The incision scar, which starts from the armpit, extends to the top of the elbow. The procedure is performed on the inner part of the arm.
- Arm Lift with Extended Scar: The standard arm lift is extended from the armpit and also covers the sidewall of the chest. This technique is preferred in patients with excessive arm sagging.
- Surgical Technique: During the operation, an incision is made along the inner arm from the armpit to the elbow. Excess fat is removed by liposuction. Loose skin tissue is removed and the skin is stretched with the help of tightening sutures. It is possible to place a drainage tube to prevent fluid accumulation and control bleeding. The operation is completed with a tight bandage application. This will prevent excessive swelling.
Things to Consider After Arm Lift Procedure
- Wounds are dressed and patients are discharged with a tight bandage on their arm. This bandage, which is wrapped around the arm, prevents the formation of oedema.
- Patients should avoid raising their arms above their shoulders for 10-14 days. Otherwise, excessive pressure applied to the underarm area may damage the sutures.
- Drains placed under the incision site prevent fluid accumulation during the healing process. But these are removed on the date of discharge. Self-dissolving sutures are used during arm lift procedure. Therefore, the sutures will disappear in a maximum of 1 month.
- After the operation, bandages wrapped around the arm should not be removed for 24-48 hours.
- You can take a bath 2 days after the operation. However, you are recommended to get help from someone or go to the hairdresser while washing your hair.
- Patients can return to daily activities in a few days. They should avoid strenuous activities. They should not drive vehicles for 2 weeks. Sutures heal completely in 4 weeks. It is necessary to wait 6 weeks to start full exercise and to do sports normally.
- Using a corset after the surgery reduces the development of oedema and supports the healing process.