Tummy Tuck procedure is performed to treat problems such as sagging, excess skin and fat in the abdomen. Loosening and sagging in the abdomen can be seen in both genders. But it is more common in women, especially during pregnancy. It is possible to achieve a smooth appearance by stretching the abdominal region with this surgical procedure. The cracks in the area under the belly button are eliminated, the saggy skin appearance is eliminated by flattening the abdomen.
Tummy Tuck procedure, also known as abdominoplasty is one of the most popular and effective methods in the field of plastic abdominal surgery. It corrects the deformations in the abdominal region and gives the abdominal area an aesthetic appearance.
What are the Steps for a Tummy Tuck procedure?
- Where the skin will be removed from and which technique will be applied are determined in the light of detailed medical and radiological examinations.
- As a general, a line is drawn from the level of the caesarean section to the sides. The cracked and sagging skin in the part up to the belly button is removed.
- The skin above the belly button level is stretched downwards.
- The belly button is brought to the appropriate position.
- In case of excess abdominal fat, excess fat is removed by liposuction.
- Collecting sutures are positioned on the membranes in the abdominal wall. The placed sutures provide tightening of the abdominal muscles and regain the former firmness of the abdomen.
- Aesthetic sutures are used for suturing the incisions. This prevents disturbing scars.
- If the tummy tuck procedure is performed with the total abdominoplasty method, i.e. as a full tummy tuck, the operation takes averagely 3-3.5 hours. If the patient’s abdomen is large, this period may take up to 4 hours.
- Mini tummy tuck surgery does not cover a very large area. It is preferred in patients with milder problems such as sagging and looseness. This operation is completed within 1-1.15 hours. Both procedures are performed under general anaesthesia.
- There are many factors that affect the duration of this surgical procedure. Some of these include whether fat removal will be performed, how much skin excess is in the abdomen, the width of the region, the condition of the abdominal muscles and which suture method will be applied.
How Long Does Recovery Take After Tummy Tuck Procedure?
The answer to this question depends on the conditions of the surgical procedure. However, patients are usually discharged after 1-2 days. It is recommended to use a special corset for 1 month. Thanks to this corset, it will be easier for the abdominal region to reach the desired form. There may be pain for a while after the surgery, but this is normal and temporary. Patients can return to their daily work and take a bath a few days after the operation.
In the first week after the operation, movements such as straining, sneezing and coughing should be avoided as much as possible. Because the sutures haven’t attached yet. Such things can cause the patient to feel pain. If it is severe, the sutures may be damaged.
If the patient has a pregnancy and gives birth again after the surgery, problems such as sagging, loosening and cracking may occur again.