Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery
Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery or blepharoplasty refers to the whole of the procedures applied by the plastic surgeon to the upper or lower eyelids. It is intended to remove excess muscle tissue and sagging skin, and to stretch the tissues around the eyes.
Sagging skin is one of the skin changes that come with age. In parallel to this, findings such as loosening of the skin surrounding the eye, slack, colour change, wrinkles, and bagging on the eyelids are observed. Factors such as irregular sleep, air pollution, excessive use of alcohol and cigarettes, and exposure to sunlight also cause the skin to age faster.
The loss of the elastic tissue (elastin) in the skin is first seen on the eyelids. This gives the person a dull, old and tired appearance. Some of the signs of aging on the upper and lower eyelids are as follows:
- A tired face
- Crow’s feet lines around the eyes
- Sagging and wrinkles on the eyelid skin
- Upper eyelid drooping
- Colour change and bagging under the eyes
What are the Steps of the Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery?
- Blepharoplasty surgery performed for functional or aesthetic reasons can only be performed on the lower or upper eyelids. Sometimes both are used together. It is usually performed together with endoscopic mid-facelift surgery, forehead lift and brow lift operations. It is a procedure mostly preferred by individuals over the age of 35. However, it can be applied at any age.
- Aging on the eyelids cannot be prevented with cosmetic eyelid surgery. However, this process is slowed to a certain extent. Its effect lasts for 7-8 years. It gives the person a lively facial expression.
- Since bleeding may occur during the operation, the use of aspirin and similar blood thinners should be discontinued 15 days before.
- Use of tobacco products such as cigarettes should be stopped 2-3 weeks before the surgery.
- During this period, herbal supplements should also be avoided. Otherwise, they may cause unexpected effects.
Cosmetic Upper Eyelid Surgery
In this surgery, excess muscle and skin tissue in the area is cut and removed. Thus, the drooping of the upper eyelid is treated. The incision is made from the eyelid fold line. In this way, it is ensured that the surgical scar is not visible. It is applied in combination with brow lift and forehead lift operations to obtain better cosmetic results.
Cosmetic Lower Eyelid Surgery
There are fat pads on the cheekbones. But these replace over time, especially due to aging and the effect of gravity. The deep smile lines around the mouth and the sagging under the eyelid are removed with this operation. With lower eyelid surgery, fat pads are hung where they should be.
If problems such as sagging and bagging still persist, lower eyelid surgery is needed. The incision is made under the eyelashes. The skin is lifted and the fat bags are spread to the hollow space under eyes. Excess muscle and skin are cut and removed. It may also be necessary to perform an under-eye fat injection after recovery.